Tuesday, May 28, 2013

100 General Conference talks in 50 days!!

I heard another soon to be Sister missionary say that she had a goal to read 100 general conference talks before she left on her mission and I thought that was such a wonderful goal and I wanted to give it a shot. They might not all be from conference, but they will all be the words of God from His servants. I'll try to post my thoughts on them as I go. :)

Today I read, "Be Not Moved" by Elaine S. Dalton and "Did I Tell You...?" by Susan W. Tanner (My mission president's wife!!)

Aren't they adorable?? :)
Elaine S. Dalton started out talking about this statue named Kristina that can be found on a pier in Copenhagen, Denmark looking out across the ocean toward Zion with fierce winds blowing against her. She explained that the statue was put up by her ancestors to honor her decision to join the church and leave her home. No doubt it was a difficult decision but it was one that impacted many generations to come. This really speaks to me as I am about to set out on my own journey. I have often thought about the impact my choice will have on my life as I will build a stronger testimony and grow closer to my Savior over those 18 months. I've also thought about the lives of the Brazilians that I pray that I will be able to bless through the Spirit. But it only just occurred to me while reading this talk that this decision could impact my children and their children and many generations to come. Like Kristina, I know that it will not be easy and I will face many fierce winds, but oh man, will it be worth it!

                                   
Sister Dalton counsels us to be not moved...

...in choosing right

...in your desire and commitment to remain virtuous and sexually pure

...in being worthy to make and keep sacred covenants

Sister's Tanner talks gives us wise counsel as we go out into the world on our own. I loved reading this talk. It will be one that I will go to especially as I prepare for motherhood. A few key points:

Follow the pattern of the temple to build a happy home.

Small things make a happy home- things like saying "I'm sorry" or reading a book together.

Motherhood is worth it!

Love is the foundational virtue in building a strong home.


No comments:

Post a Comment