Monday, May 27, 2013

The day it all began...

Let me start out by saying I love General Conference!
...
But then of course, I also have to confess that I don't think I have made it through a single conference weekend without falling asleep during a talk.

It is a goal of mine...one day.

This particular General Conference I will never forget.

My first semester at BYU. I scored some tickets to the Saturday afternoon session and invited my friend Noelle to come along with me. 

I was getting ready somewhat frantically but determined to not miss the morning session so I was straightening my hair and listening when I heard the announcement that changed my life. 


I was shocked. 

I could not contain my excitement but I was alone in my apartment so I felt pretty silly jumping around and screaming with joy and amazement.

Within seconds, I had text messages from several of my friends saying, 
"YOU CAN GO ON A MISSION NOW!!!"

All of my life I have wanted to go on a mission. So much so that when I was a sophomore in high school I attended a mission prep class on Sundays with the missionaries until it was canceled.

But until this day I had 3 or more years to prepare and sort out my life before even considering the actual possibility of it.

No one thought I would make it to 21. My brother Chris was especially certain that there was no way I would make it to 21 still single after 3 years at BYU.

So although I was excited and had the desire to go, I had to take a step back and realize that this might not be the right time for me.

Finally ready to go, I picked up Noelle and we headed to the Conference Center chatting about the possibilities all along the way. Life at BYU would never be the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment